July 25, 2015

Beauty Book Review - Michelle Phan: Make Up 'Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style and Success - Online and Off'

A few weeks ago I picked up the book in a local bookstore. I’ve been eyeing it for a couple weeks when I decided to buy. Cover was a beautiful blue colored background where it just showing her picture holding lipstick (and IPhone??) Not sure what she was trying to do but still looked gorgeous as always.

Michelle Phan is a very inspirational person. She basically start her career at YouTube and set the trend of Beauty Gurus all over the world. She's the owner of IPSY, a monthly beauty bag subscription service (check the website www.ipsy.com if you would like to join). Until now she has already become a CEO of her own makeup brand 'em'. She is a powerful and passionate person. What I love more about her is that she's very true to herself.  She always been so positive and motivating the beauty community. No wonder that she achieved so much in her life. And in this book, she shares a little bit about her journey.  So here’s my thoughts of what’s inside the book.


What I love(Pros):
  • Good for a beginner. I would say that I’m a beginner myself. Yes I do know a little bit more than my friends but that doesn’t make me an expert. I love makeup, but there are lots of things that I still don’t understand and this book give me all the basic information that I need. The language is very easy and even a newbie would understand and able to do every single of it. The steps are not complicated and reflect our daily life and routine and how to simply enhance it and make it better.
  • It covers everything. The contents are not all about makeup, as the title mentioned; it gives more tips and trick on daily routine. How to style fashion, mix n’ match, how to find passion, how to do your dream job, she even teach you about manners.  Simple tips and tricks on how to be beautiful inside and out, I would say.
  • Inspiring people. In this book, Mish (that’s how she called herself) tells a little bit about her struggle and how she can be successful as today. So if you want to know how she get all the way from a nobody to somebody, you definitely need to pick up the book.
  • It is so pretty that you want to put it as a decoration ;p It is hardcover and quite sturdy. Lots and lots of pictures inside..


What I less love (Cons):
  • Not for the Pros. Well, simple as it is a basic guide book, it doesn’t go too deep and detail. For professional makeup artist or lifestyle blogger, you will find this book not so interesting, since probably you already know whatever she writes here, and you might already be successful.

Overall, I still think that the book is a good buy and a nice addition to my shelf. You can buy it in your local bookstore, Amazone, etc. I personally live in Indonesia and I buy it at Periplus for IDR 327.000 which is around USD 25 (in US I believe it is priced at USD 23/ CAD 26.95) which is a pretty good deal. You can also get it at Books&Beyond or at several online bookstores with a comparable price. 

(A good companion to make you look cool in the summer.. Hahaha.. ;p)

Well, I think this end my review of the book. If you still don't know Michelle Phan by now, I suggest you check her out on YouTube and through her website www.michellephan.com

Stay beautiful

Cyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *