July 09, 2015

The turnaround

It was late September 2014, my birthday holiday trip. I was driving with my friend in Bali on my way to Nusa Dua picking up some other friends who were living nearby. A text was coming, “Cindy.. Duty Manager Position is vacant. If you want, send me your CV as soon as possible.”
It was my friend from the previous company. He now works for a 5 star international chain hotel in Bali – one of the leading brands in the world. That moment I thought “Yes!! This is the time.” I texted him back and told him that I was in Bali. And the following day I have my job interview wearing only a T-Shirt, jeans and beach sandals. Well, I was on holiday, so what do you expect? Lesson learned; always bring formal attire anywhere you go.  Just in case maybe you end up having the most important job interview in your life, during your holiday. Who knows? Because I did.

So.. I got accepted at that very day, right after I finished the 5hrs interview of my life changing career. No more thinking, I took the job. I resigned from my old workplace in Surabaya and moved to Bali, leaving my family, friends and colleague to start living independently and begin my adventure in Bali. What could be more exciting than working in paradise? I always love nature. I adore beaches and mountains. They always help me feeling sane and alive. I was so excited; all I can think about was exploring Bali. Beaches… Beaches… And beaches… I started working and working all the time, have fun on the day off. It was fun at the beginning with all the new stuff and experience. Then at one point, it just became a routine. A boring one..

One day my housemate told me that her friend was getting married and looking for a makeup artist. A good one but not so expensive. She told me that I should take it. Well.. I always amused by the thought of being a makeup artist, it was like an ultimate dream of mine, but I was always hesitant and afraid to do makeup on people. I wasn’t confident enough because all this time my face is my only canvas. Putting makeup on other people is different and more complicated. I might have done some simple party makeup on my sisters and mum, but never before I did a wedding makeup; it was a whole new thing for me. But then there was this strong force that was telling me that I should take the challenge, test myself and my capability. Anyway I received good money so let’s just do it, I told myself.  So I did it. Things turned out to be great. I feel awesome of my achievement and started to think that I have to do this more often. Other than I got to do things that I love, I got an extra pocket money and I gained my confidence. Until one point I felt ready to let go of my hospitality life and go after my dreams. I resigned.

Big decision huh? Yes, it is.. But you don’t know what will happen next. Things might turn out well and you will be thankful for it. If it’s not working that’s fine. Try to see things in the bigger picture. Your failure today might bring you to a big turnaround.  Have a faith. Things will eventually get better. It depends on your reaction to things. Are you going to cry and ask people to pity your life? Or are you going to get up, learn from the mistakes and stand stronger that before?

Do you have that one dream that makes you can’t sleep at night? If you did, please take that on leap of faith and change your life.



Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *